- Learn about your condition, understand what it is and how it affects your body as a whole (not just the skin).
- Keeping in touch with approved websites and patient support groups is another way to increase knowledge about skin conditions and to gain some social support. By staying informed patients are empowered to make better decisions about their skin and mental health.
- Talk to people you trust about how your skin affects your life.
- Discuss with your doctor about what treatments are available and if you are not satisfied do not be afraid to ask for a second opinion via a dermatologist or psychodermatologist.
- Consider accessing psychological support through Talking Therapies (can self-refer or via your GP), self-help resources (e.g. Headspace) or the Skin Support website (www.skinsupport.org.uk)
- If you feel low about your skin or life please let your doctor know, there are lots of things we may be able to do to help.
Image by María Prieto